3 Steps to Prepare your Home for Storm Season
June 1, 2016
Preparing your home for storm season in Perth is very important both for obvious safety reasons and managing possible risks to your budget. Wild weather can do severe and expensive damage. Play it smart and prepare for storm season now.
Step 1: Checking Your Home for Storm Risks
You can find and prevent possible problems before they happen by carrying out an inspection of your home and taking the right corrective actions:
- Check your home exterior for signs of defects – Strong winds and rain can turn small cracks and exterior defects into major liabilities by allowing water to seep inside. Fix and repair any issues as soon as possible.
- Trees – Do you have any trees nearby which drop branches and leaves on your home? Are there any overhanging branches? This is the classic storm damage scenario. You may need to trim or lop the tree to ensure safety from falling large branches. Talk to your local council about remedial work. (See also Roof Inspection, below.)
Step 2: Roof Inspection, Ceilings, and Possible Risks
Your roof is your primary defence and shelter against storm damage. Roofing problems can affect the entire building. Take special care to ensure that your roof is in top condition:
- Old roofing issues to look for – Old roofing deteriorates over time due to climate conditions and material deterioration. Minor cracks and damage to roof seals need to be fixed for storm season. Check old roofs thoroughly, particularly tile condition and steel roofing joins for any sign of damage.
- Check your roof exterior thoroughly – Carry out a complete survey of the entire roof surface for any signs of damage or displacement of roofing tiles or steel roof defects. Any problems with the roof surface can allow in moisture and degrade the roof, affecting the interior and potentially any wiring in the roof cavity.
- Check ceilings for faults and interior signs of roof problems - After rain, signs of roof leaks affecting the interior of your home will show on the ceilings. Leaks may cause ceiling discolouration, and occasionally odours. Particularly check around the ceiling/wall joins for patches of discolouration, cracks or other issues.
- Check roof guttering and downpipes for obstructions – There should be no materials or blockages in these systems. Blockages can cause serious trouble, including interior damage. The quick fix is to get professional services to clear and flush these systems.
Step 3: Fixing Roof Defects and Problems
- When repairs need doing - Do NOT attempt to carry out roof repairs yourself. Working on roofs can be extremely dangerous. Damaged roofs may also be unsafe. Fixing roof seals, replacing damaged roofing and other work must be done properly, by licensed tradespeople. Leave the work to the roof professionals.
- Guttering and downpipes maintenance – Clear out any minor, easy to access debris in these systems. This prevents blockages and reduces the risk of interior leaks and damage. Please note - If there are a lot of materials, and/or signs of blockages, get your local professional roofing services in Perth to do the work.
- Leaky roof repairs – Any existing leaks should be fixed as soon as possible to prevent storm damage from aggravating problems.
You can get all the roof repairs you need with a phone call to your local roofers. Your roofing professionals in Perth can deliver all the services you need. They will also handle issues like fixing roof seals, ceiling issues, eaves repair, carpentry, and related work.